static linking?

Hi all

I'm trying to build a cd with a few utils, without loading a full-blown distribution. So I'm loading everything into the initrd. I knew I'd need the associated libraries, but I have been running into some troubles. I thought it might help to just use as many statically linked executables as possible -- dialog, ssh, etc.

The question is, how do I do that? I apt-get source dialog, for example, and then ./configure and edit the resultant makefile to include -static on the LDFLAGS line...but it doesn't seem to be working. ldd /usr/bin/local/dialog returns 'not a dynamic executable' instead of 'statically linked'.

If anyone has any ideas, it would be really appreciated. If not, I guess I could try to find a lightweight livecd (but I'd rather that be a last resort)

(cross-posted just about everywhere)