Multimedia docs..

Has anyone found any good references on multimedia programming
applicable to a Debian/Linux system?

I have the O'Reilly "Linux Multimedia Guide", but having been
published in 1996 is getting a bit dated now, and for audio
only covers OSS and not ALSA. I have found using the online
documentation a bit disjointed in the sense that you have to
know what to look for and I keep finding out that there
are better/newer ways of doing things after epending effort
going in another direction. For instance knowing which interface
to use, what libraries, sound daemons, etc...

Would appreciate any suggestions if anyone has found anything
they would recommend.

Thanks,
DigbyT
http://www.digbyt.com