Re: Cannot boot after sarge->etch upgrade

On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 04:42:38PM +0300, Vladimir Kozlov wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I know it sounds strange (I've already did this on four servers without
> problems) but on the last I've got a problem - it does not boot after
> upgrade.
> This computer has SATA in combined mode (I do have both SATA and PATA
> disks). When SATA is in combined mode I have the last messages on the
> screen something like
>
> ide0: i/o resource xxxx-xxxx not free
>
> ide1: i/o resource xxxx-xxxx not free
>
> and of course it could not mount root and boot.
>
> When I have SATA in PATA mode only I could boot, but of course could not
> access the second (SATA) hard drive.
>
> Are there any workarounds available?

Hi Vladimir,

Please pardon my ignorance.  I don't understand "combined mode".  As I
understand it, Sarge would only see some SATA drives and lable them hd*
whereas Etch sees most SATA drives and lables them sd*

If by combined mode you mean that the BIOS is making the SATA drives
appear as PATA drives, then perhaps this doesn't work with Etch.

What you probably want is the SATA drives to look like SATA drives and
the PATA drives to look like PATA drives.  Then change your root= kernel
parameter to point to the correct device and change /etc/fstab.

What you may need to do is capture the kernel messages as they scroll by
to see what drives it finds and what it calls them.  If this scrolls by
the screen too quickly, I would suggest either using a serial console to
capture it or adding a console=lp (see the relavent HOWTOs) to output to
a printer (note that the order of console parameters is important so
that you can still input from your keyboard).

I hope this helps.

Doug.