Re: dial up connection

On 09/01/07, Mark Grieveson  wrote:
I've used wvdial, but I find it only works as root.  As a regular user it states that it cannot access pppd, instructing me to check my permissions.  I've checked, and regular users have read permission, with the program being labelled executable.  Does it need write permission?

(Assuming your modem is in /dev/ttyS1)
[kumar@debian ~] ls -l /dev/ttyS1
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 4, 65 Jan  9  2007 /dev/ttyS1

[kumar@debian ~] ls -l /usr/sbin/pppd
-rwsr-xr-- 1 root dip 260920 Dec 19 17:53 /usr/sbin/pppd

Now, from what I gather from this, if you adduser <you> dialout, and
adduser <you> dip, you should be able to dial out as ordinary user.

Please confirm if this works. Also, you may need to log out and log in
again to effect the group addition.

HTH

Kumar
--