Re: Does XFS work with LVM?

On 1/7/07, Roberto C. Sanchez <roberto@connexer.com> wrote:
On Sun, Jan 07, 2007 at 06:35:34AM +0100, rafiks wrote:

> But I read somewhere that I can't make the partition smaller with XFS..Is
> this still true?

That is correct.  You cannot make XFS shrink, only grow.  However, this
does not prevent you from using it on LVM.  You just can't make the
logical volumes any smaller, only larger.  Out of curiousity, why XFS?
Why not ext3?

XFS has some nice features for snapshotting and freezing filesystems,
which is why many people often use it together with databases. Out of
curiosity, many people claim that ext3 can be resized live but I seam
to remember that it requires you to run e2fsck prior to doing the
resizing i.e.

----
e2fsck -f /dev/group/volume
resize2fs /dev/group/volume
----

I might be wrong on this but isn't it a requirement that e2fsck is run
with the filesystem unmounted ? which is not exactly what I associate
with being online. On xfs you can always use the xfs_growfs command to
enlarge a fs, no matter what state it is in (except corrupted).

--
Lars Roland