Re: "Local Packages": can I use /opt/ ?

"Roberto C. Sanchez" <roberto@connexer.com> writes:
> The FHS is quite flexible in this respect.  Personally, I like
> /usr/local for stuff that I compile myself.
>
> Stuff that goes in /opt includes monolithic apps which I get in binary
> form.

IIRC that split is what's generally recommended -- /usr/local for
locally compiled stuff, /opt for binary distributed 3rd party packages.

I imagine the reasoning is simply that precompiled binaries may have
hardwired paths, and the way /opt generally works (each "package" gets
its own complete tree) gives less chance of namespace conflicts while
still retaining fixed locations for files.

[I actually never use /opt though -- come to think of it I don't even
have such a directory on my disk!  Most "precompiled binaries" these
days seem to come with a little installation shell script that adjusts
the paths, so it's OK to just put them in /usr/local/BLARGH or
whatever.]

-Miles
--
Ich bin ein Virus. Mach' mit und kopiere mich in Deine .signature.