backports: How do you disable the sticky mouse pointer at screen edge?

I upgraded from sarge to (mostly) backports packages including
devilspie, gnome and xorg 6.9.  metacity was not upgraded (same
version).

After the upgrade my mouse pointer has become sticky at the edges of the
screen, and I would like your help in figuring out how to disable that
new feature.

So far I have have tried to temporarly kill devilspie, reviewed the
desktop preferences menu, reviewed various changelogs and search the web
with little success.

/Allan