Re: Can I change motherboard without reinstal ling sarge

I have to agree with Robert on this one, just make sure you have a newish
stock kernel installed, which will support your motherboard, or at least
your cpu chipset.  That way you will be able to boot, then you might need
to tweak your settings, you should also be making backups of your
important information.

You also might consider this a time to test the rc1-2 test images, as this
is an excellent time to file install reports, and insure a clean setup. I
will add on little story about this type of situation.  A while back, I
had to help out a buddy of mine, and I decided to just give him a system
which was running I386 FreeBSD consisting of 2 amd MP 1.2 Athlons,
running a Tyan Tiger MP motherboard. Since I had to do a Windows install
I switched hard drives and reformated and installed Windows on his
machine.  I took the hardrive I had put in into my amd64 system, knowing
that I needed to do a full install of my system, without thinking I just
installed and booted into my system.  To my surprise it booted into
Freebsd, this is going from a I386 system, to an amd64 system, the fact
it booted game me a prompt was a nice treat.  I probably could of just
done a build world and tweaked the system to keep it working.  But I
really like Debian, and Debian based systems. So I had to install that
instead.

I have successfully istalled different graphics cards in the same system
without having to tweak the xorg.conf file.  But this was the same brand
of card, for example I have switch from say a Nvidia fx 5600 Ultra, to
say a 6600 GT without any problems. Both card's used the same driver and
both came up in X, But if you have a newer card this might not work.

I must say don't ever try that under Windows, most people I know who try
it have quirky problems, I would never try it unless it was the same
motherboard and chipset as the board before.

Gnu_Raiz