Re: Can I change motherboard without reinstal ling sarge

On Sun, Jan 07, 2007 at 10:04:34AM +0800, a wrote:

> I change motherboard, sarge refuse to boot, it says BIOS check fails
> I used debian before (woody, potato...) there's no such problem
> Do I have to re-install sarge?

Short answer: It depends.

Long answer:  If you are running a stock Debian kernel, have hardware
detection enabled and get a new motherboard/CPU combination that is the
same architecture as what you have now, it is doable.  Be aware, that if
you change video cards, you will need to reconfigure X.  Also, if you
have compiled your own kernel and made it so that you only have the
things in there that you need for your specific machine (e.g., IDE
chipset or exact CPU arch), then you may run into a problem.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez