no background screen activity in GDE or KDE @debian

hi
I am using debian 2.6 kernel .
When i log in , the screen which i am greeted with doesnt show any activity in the background screen .i.e i dont get any  pop up when i click mouse on my background , no icons in my desktop screen and having a constant color .
this problem pervades through all display manager and desktop environments . i have tried (gdm,kdm)*(kde,xfce,gde) but all have the same problem .
when i login to gde it shows the following error message :

"
There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon.

Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work correctly.

The Settings Daemon restarted too many times.

The last error message was:

System exception: IDL:Bonobo/GeneralError:1.0 : Child process did not give an error message, unknown failure occurred

GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you log in.
"

Can any body suggest how this error can be rectified ?

Thanx.

PS: please include my email id in CC of the reply as i have not subscribed to debian-users list

--
Pranay Prateek
3rd Yr Electrical Engineering