[no subject]

I think your best bet would be to get an older version of debian. if
you get the last dot release of the 2.0 series (2.3 I think) you
should be able to install it with just the 16MB you have, then upgrade to
3.1 or etch or whatever. The old bootfloppies had much lower memory
requirements. I once used this trick to get 2.2 running on a compaq 386
(using and even older set of bootdisks) years ago just for for laughs. If
I remember correctly the machine had 4megs of RAM, on a ISA card, not the
mobo. The really funny thing was, a year later, I found a daughterboard
that fit on the card that doubled its memory.