Re: Etch becoming slower than Sarge?

2007/1/4, Kumar Appaiah <akumar@ee.iitm.ac.in>:
Dear Debian users,

A couple of my friends who were using Sarge, on machines with 128 MB
of RAM and 256 MB of RAM have complained that an upgrade from Sarge to
Etch has slowed their machine down considerably. This is irrespective
of the Window Manager. Is there any particular reason why this could
be happening? I could not pin down anything in particular which could
cause this to happen.

Hi, just want to report my experience.

AMD2000, 256MB Ram running etch, my desktop is icewm.

I usually run grass+mysql+apache2+quanta+firefox+xterm together, not a light environment, isn't it ;-)
Well I tried both the default debian kernel and a recompiled one but, as well know (all debian kernel oriented folks say this) there's no significant gain in performances.

Of course I obtained serious performance gain removing all default running deamons I didn't need such as exim4, hald, portmap, ssh, dbus.

cheers
raffaele