Re: Etch becoming slower than Sarge?

Marko Randjelovic wrote:
Kumar Appaiah wrote:
Dear Debian users,

A couple of my friends who were using Sarge, on machines with 128 MB
of RAM and 256 MB of RAM have complained that an upgrade from Sarge to
Etch has slowed their machine down considerably. This is irrespective
of the Window Manager. Is there any particular reason why this could
be happening? I could not pin down anything in particular which could
cause this to happen.

Thanks.

Kumar
I think it is memory issue. Programs generally are using more memory with new releases. Use 'free' command to see your memory situation. 'top' can tell you which processes are consuming most memory. You can use also System Monitor with gnome or KDE System Guard but they use more guess what: memory. :)

I am on a P4 machine with 1Gb of RAM and what surprises me, running Etch with a 2.6.18 kernel is that even with this setup, there are times when approx 10% of my swap space is being used. Memory seems to be cached readily, but released grudgingly, altho' to be fair, I am using a Gnome DE. This really only becomes a problem when playing a game like Oolite (basically because the game becomes so slow to respond on full screen) or when I am burning a recently converted video file to a DVD using growisofs (then the entire system freezes and I have to pull the mains on it and reboot).

I don't know if this is just my machine or a more general problem in Etch having only been using Etch for a few weeks now.