Re: unable to parse package file; aptitude effectively dead.

hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> While I'm waiting for someone to *fix* bug 405506, does anyone have an
> idea how to recover from it?  Is a reinstall in order?
>
> Yesterday aptitude reported
>   Unable to parse package file /var/lib/aptitude/pkgstates
> This happened on an etch that was just installed the same day from a
> previous-day netinstall daily build.
>
> The file does exist, and appears to be binary gibberish.

In the bug report, you say:

| tried startx, got the black screen of death -- completely unresponsive
| to mouse or keyboard.

Hard rebooting a wedged system can result in corrupted files in rare
cases, and it sounds like this is what you have. The pkgstates file is a
plain text file. The chances of this being an aptitude bug seem very
near to zero. Unless you or someone else can reproduce the bug (either
the hang starting X or the file system corruption), it's certianly not
grave severity.

> There's also a pkgstates.old file, about one minute older, in the same
> directory.  Should I try replacing pkgstates by pkgstates.old in the
> hope that will help?

Depends, is it also full of binary garbage? Have you checked the rest of
your files BTW?

--
see shy jo