Re: unable to parse package file; aptitude effectively dead.

On Thu, Jan 04, 2007 at 10:45:29AM -0500, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> While I'm waiting for someone to *fix* bug 405506, does anyone have an
> idea how to recover from it?  Is a reinstall in order?

I doubt it. you may have to use apt-get to install a fix but you
shouldn't have to reinstall.

> Yesterday aptitude reported
>   Unable to parse package file /var/lib/aptitude/pkgstates
> This happened on an etch that was just installed the same day from a
> previous-day netinstall daily build.
>
> The file does exist, and appears to be binary gibberish.
> There's also a pkgstates.old file, about one minute older, in the same
> directory.  Should I try replacing pkgstates by pkgstates.old in the
> hope that will help?  I'm reluctant to do this without some idea just
> what role this file plays in aptitude.  It doesn't seem to be the
> downloaded, consolidated list of available packages, since updating has
> no effect on it.

might as well try renaming the files, or hiding them all together and
see what happens. I can't see that it will hurt, and you can always
move them back.