KDE media:/ failure - "Cannot obtain lock on /media/.hal-mtab"

Hi!

I'm trying to setup this media:/ thing under KDE-3.5.5 (Debian testing).
I have the media manager running, and when I plug in my pen-drive I get
a window (Title: Manage Devices and Plugins). I'm absolutely clueless
about this :) What is it for? It contains the device name (sda1), and I
can select a Plugin from a drop-down list {Do not handle, Generic audio
player, Music sharing, Apple iPod media device, etc...}. It has two
buttons [Autodetect Devices] and [Add Device...]. Can someone tell what
can I do with this?

Anyway, my problem is not related to this window, but with the other, in
which I can select what to do with my inserted media. It recognized the
Medium type: Unmounted Removable Medium, and I can choose to "Open in
New Window" or "Do Nothing". I choose open in new window, and then a
new Konqueror window opens, and I get an error message which says:
"Cannot obtain lock on /media/.hal-mtab". I noticed that I don't have
the /media directory, so I've created it with failsafe permissions
(777). Now I get a "Permissions denied" error message... I've googled
for the former error message a bit, but none of the results were in
english :\

Any comments will be appreciated.

Thanks!
Daniel