Re: root on removable drive

On Mon, Jan 01, 2007 at 05:00:12PM -0500, draeath wrote:

> I'm trying to migrate to debian for the upcoming Etch release. I'm
> currently using Ubuntu.
>
> The only thing holding me back is the kernel will panic as / is absent.
> My partition layout:
>
> /dev/hda ( internal HD )
> /dev/hda1 NTFS ( windows )
> /dev/hda2 EXT3 ( /boot )
> /dev/hda3 linux-swap
>
> /dev/sda ( external HD, USB 2.0 (UHCI) )
> /dev/sda1 EXT3( / )
> /dev/sda2 extended
> /dev/sda5 FAT32 ( shared space for moving files with drive )
>

> In ubuntu, it works fine (and I can use UUIDs no less!).
>
> I've tried using this:
> root=UUID=f7b53c4d-6f56-4e99-94fb-ae66d975f167
>
> and also this:
> root=/dev/sda1
>
> Both fail. Is this due to the kernel version? Ubuntu is running
> 2.6.17-10
Hi draeath,
my understanding is that there are difference between ubuntu and debian
in terms of how they setup and patch their kernel, not necessarily
related to kernel version. Ubuntu may include usb functionality (or just
maybe earlier) to allow an external usb drive to be used for root.
Cheers,
Kev
Ps. you may want to use the ubuntu kernel with a debian system but I'm
not sure as to the full effect of this.``
| : :' :      The  Universal     |   'under construction'   |