Re: update messages

On Fri, Dec 29, 2006 at 09:47:20AM -0500, celejar wrote:
> On 12/28/06, Digby Tarvin <digbyt@acm.org> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> >The page which I found indicating the removal of xearth from testing is
> >       http://packages.qa.debian.org/x/xearth.html
> >but it doesn't give any explanation of why, and I am not sure where to
> >look next.
> >
> >Should I be fetching the unstable version? Or would it be better to
> >just install from source and forget the debian packages for this
> >application?
> >

> Did you see this [0]?
>
> Celejar
>
> [0] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=382654

Sure, but unless I am misunderstanding the debian release process,
that doesn't explain why it disappeared from testing back on June 10th,
but the discussion you refer to which seems to have eventually
resulted in removal from unstable didn't start till August 12th...

I thought package removal was supposed to start in unstable and
then seep back into testing when no dependant packages remained.

Regards,
DigbyT

P.S. The reason I prefer xearth over xplanet is that something that
is just decorating my root window (and letting me know if it is night
or day outside) shouldn't be too resource hungry, and:
 digbyt@fujitsu:~$ ls -l /usr/bin/xplanet /usr/bin/X11/xearth
 -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 183640 2004-07-17 17:25 /usr/bin/X11/xearth
 -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 996396 2006-11-26 11:18 /usr/bin/xplanet

http://www.digbyt.com