Re: update messages

On Thu, Dec 28, 2006 at 05:28:55PM -0800, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > It seems I am not out of the woods yet. I just tried executing
> > 	apt-get install libx11-dev
> > which is the package I needed to install in the first place when I
> > got distracted onto upgrading my system..
>
> was this before or after a successful upgrade?

After a successful upgrade, but I haven't yet attempted
a 'dist-upgrade'..

> > Amoungst the actions it threatened to do was:
> >     The following packages will be REMOVED
> >      gnome gnome-core gnome-desktop-environment gnome-doc-utils gnome-office
> >      lbxproxy libapache2-mod-php4 libapache2-mod-python proxymngr python-libxml2
> >      python-newt python2.3-imaging-tk python2.3-tk skencil sketch totem
> >      x-window-system xdm xearth xfs xfwp xlibs xlibs-data xlockmore-gl xprint
> >      xserver-common xv xvfb yelp
> >

> you're losing all of X here. that's not good. are you running xorg or
> xfree86 still? there was a transition, to xorg, did you miss it? maybe
> the transition packages have already been pulled? you may have to go
> in and mark xorg for installation.

aptitude shows:
	xserver-xorg 6.9.0.dfsg.1-6
as being installed, and isn't one of the packages listed for removal
(but is listed for upgrade)

There is quite a list of new packages to be installed - perhaps too
much to post to the list. Here is a sample:

  The following NEW packages will be installed
    cdrdao epiphany-browser evolution-common evolution-data-server-common
    gnome-cards-data gnome-media-common gtk2-engines industrial-cursor-theme
    libavcodec0d libcamel1.2-8 libdbus-1-3 libdrm2 libecal1.2-6
    libedata-cal1.2-5 libedataserver1.2-7 libegroupwise1.2-10
    libexchange-storage1.2-1 libfontenc1 libglu1-mesa libgnome-media0
    libgnome-window-settings1 libgnutls13 libgtop2-7 libgtop2-common
    libnautilus-burn3 libnm-glib0 libpisock9 libpostproc0d libtasn1-3
    libtotem-plparser1 libx11-data libx11-dev libxau-dev libxdmcp-dev
    libxext-dev libxfont1 python-central python-gnome2-desktop python-pyorbit
    python-support type-handling wodim x11proto-core-dev x11proto-input-dev
    x11proto-kb-dev x11proto-xext-dev xbitmaps xfonts-encodings xfonts-utils
    xkb-data xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg-input-all xserver-xorg-input-evdev
    xserver-xorg-input-kbd xserver-xorg-input-mouse xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
    xserver-xorg-input-wacom xserver-xorg-video-all xserver-xorg-video-apm
	<the rest are all xserver-xorg-...>

> > I was again disturbed by the threatened removal of some applications I
> > know I regularly use (such as xearth, xv and totem), so I did some
> > digging starting with 'xearth', and it seems that package has been
> > removed from testing (but not stable or unstable) and the version I
> > had installed (1.1-10.1) requires xbase < 3.3.2.3a-2 which presumably
> > conflicts with other packages which are required for for the libx11-dev
> > package..
> >
> > The page which I found indicating the removal of xearth from testing is
> > 	http://packages.qa.debian.org/x/xearth.html
> > but it doesn't give any explanation of why, and I am not sure where to
> > look next.
> >
> > Should I be fetching the unstable version? Or would it be better to
> > just install from source and forget the debian packages for this
> > application?
>
> well, its probably got bugs that prevent it from being included in
> etch. With etch frozen, I imagine you're sol for using it when etch
> goes stable, so you'll either have to backport it from sid or install
> from source. Either way, you'll probably have to let that one go.

I suppose my own build from source with static libraries in /usr/local/bin
should prevent future problems with it for some time.

> > Not sure about the other packages - totem for example appears to
> > have a newer version available, so I don't understand why the threat
> > to delete it.
>
> I believe totem depends on gnome which you are losing altogether
> above.

I don't really understand what is happening with gnome. I do seem
to be getting some gnome related packages added and upgraded...

> > And xv I havn't found at all in the packages database :-/
>
> I can only vaguely recall xv. what is it?

John Bradley's image viewer program. Probably frowned upon
by Debian for being non-free, but I registered my copy years
ago so I feel entitled to keep using it ;)

Regards,
DigbyT
http://www.digbyt.com