Re: Emacs, mutt and a problem with locales

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006, Ismael Valladolid Torres wrote:

> LANG is es_ES.UTF-8 and there is no other LC_* environment variable
> defined.
>
> The problem is that Mutt shows properly any message with the correct
> encoding, even I see oriental symbols in spam received with the
> iso-2022-jp encoding. But when I answer a message with spanish special
> characters, Emacs opens and everything starts behaving unproperly.
>
> As an example, I read a message using Mutt, with a line like:
>
> "Lo <accented u>nico que me dice dmesg"
>
> I answer the message, Emacs opens and I see:
>
> "Lo <A with a tilde followed by underscored o>nico que me dice dmesg"
>
> And below, in Emacs status line I see "0" instead of "u", so it seems
> like Emacs is not detecting that the source being edited is composed
> by UTF-8 characters.
>
> Then I edit my response, send the message, and when receiving the copy
> from the mailing list I'd see:
>
> "Lo <?>nico que me dice dmesg"

Hi Ismael, this what i got in my /etc/environment:

LC_ALL=es_ES.ISO-8859-15@euro
LANGUAGE=en_US
LC_TYPE=es_ES.ISO-8859-15@euro
LANG=es_ES.ISO-8859-15@euro

#reboot

the second line allows me to read the terminal messages (apt-get) in
english. In Pine for locales i got ISO-8859-1 ISO-8859-15 UTF-8
I don't know if you need a comma after each one in Mutt.

greetings,
macondo