unable to boot from USB drive

I am using Dell Inspiron E1505. Currently it has Windows XP and I wanted to
install Debian Etch on it using the USB drive method.

I downloaded boot.img.gz from
http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/installer-i386/rc1/images/hd-media/boot.img.gz
and gunzipped it on a debian Etch machine and transferred the boot.img to the
windows machine.

I also downloaded
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/etch_di_rc1/i386/iso-cd/debian-testing-i386-netinst.iso
directly on the windows machine.

Next I transferred boot.img, debian-testing-i386-netinst.iso onto a USB drive.
Instructions on http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch04s04.html.en
say that these two files are sufficient to start the installation process.
However, I am unable to boot from the USB drive. I changed the boot sequence
in the Bios and chose it boot from the USB drive. But the system always boots
into windows and never boots from the USB drive.

What am I missing here so that the machine boots from the USB drive and enable
me to install Debian?

thanks
raju

--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/

Click for free info on paralegal training and make up to $150K/ year
http://tags.bluebottle.com/fc/KCuXzzVZ0OeygSMnEgdMIFI7qjo3rP/