Re: "Local Packages": can I use /opt/ ?

On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 07:07:52PM +0700, Ali Milis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Suppose there exists large-company.com and
> branch1.large-company.com. Both are producing "local packages"
> which may conflict with each others.
>
> Question:
> Is it OK to use /opt/com/large-company/ and
> /opt/com/large-company/branch1/ for local packages?
> Or should /usr/local/com/large-company/ and
> /usr/local/com/large-company/branch1/ be used?
>
> My understanding of FHS is that /usr/local/ is trully
> for local host.

The FHS is quite flexible in this respect.  Personally, I like
/usr/local for stuff that I compile myself.  For instance, I use a
version of qemu that I compile myself (which I install into
/usr/local/stow/qemu-<version> and then use stow to manage, but that is
beside the point).

Stuff that goes in /opt includes monolithic apps which I get in binary
form.  For me, that includes Eclipse, the upstream version of {hot-or-
cold-substance}{small-mammal} if I need it, LTSP and other such things.
Those things end up installed in directory trees that look like
/opt/eclipse-3.2, /opt/firefox-2.0, /opt/ltsp  and such.  Then I
generally create a script in /opt/bin which launches the app.  For
Eclipse, I have:

#!/bin/sh
cd /opt/eclipse-3.2
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/jni
export LANG=C
./eclipse $*

That suits my needs quite well.  Now, as long as the amount of stuff I
have hanging around in /opt is not *huge* (and by huge I mean 100+
packages) I like to keep things in the first level of /opt named for
their packages, with the exception of /opt/bin and /opt/man (for
programs which include man pages I would like to have available.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez