Re: New Debian user

Niels Rasmussen wrote:
Oh boy oh boy ........ :-)

Well i did use the graphical installer which is quite nice despite
some translations hickups ! It was all a matter of hitting Enter and
Space and define some password for root and user. Apparantly it did
find it all....... BUT:

Right now I in the console running single-user mode (writing from my
wife's laptop).

2 things to do, to make it right (at the moment):

1. When install finished, I got in to my user account just to be told
that it didn't find my screen (AAAAAARGH!!!!)

2. I couldn't sudo, because I wasn't in the sudoers (AAAAARRRRGH!!!!)

So as of # 1
I'm going to do the ATI > VESA trick and download the fglrx driver
stuff and run the aticonfig command.
But is this the right thing to do ?? Tried to install 'mc' but it
looks quite awfull.
It's obvious that my debian dont like ATI graphic cards :-(
What do everyone else do that have the same graphic card ?? ATI Radeon X700.

As of # 2
What is the syntax of the sudoers file ?? Or is there a smarter linux
command that'll do the trick ? (my linux capabilities has got quite
rusty over the years :-)

Any help are highly appreciated !!!!!

<cut>
when I used the GUI install for etch, it left me with a VESA driver which did not work well for my radeon 9600 (it did find a screen though). Editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf and changing vesa to "radeon" cured my problem . Not sure about your card, but it might be worth a try.

The fglrx drived caused me nothing but problems since I run sid and upgrade constantly.

John