Hang when exchanging media

Dear Debian-List

I have stumbled across this a couple of times now, and think that I've been able to isolate the pattern. It certainly doesn't happen every time, but a few times now to become annoying.

Using Gnome desktop, I had a CD-ROM mounted and Gnome usefully creates an icon for the CD on the desktop. I had copied files from this location to another and then went to eject the CD using the right click on the desktop icon. The CD ejected but the system hung up: nothing except pulling the power cord out of the back of the box worked to make the box unhang. This has happened a couple of times when using music CDs too, but I didn't explore any error messages on those occasions so can only really say that it *appeared* the same problem, but couldn't swear to it.

This is a snippet of what I found in /var/log/messages just before the restart entry:

Dec 17 12:26:10 valhalla kernel: attempt to access beyond end of device
Dec 17 12:26:10 valhalla kernel: hdc: rw=0, want=1393760, limit=1223288
Dec 17 12:26:10 valhalla kernel: attempt to access beyond end of device
Dec 17 12:26:10 valhalla kernel: hdc: rw=0, want=1393732, limit=1223288
Dec 17 12:26:10 valhalla kernel: attempt to access beyond end of device
Dec 17 12:26:10 valhalla kernel: hdc: rw=0, want=1393736, limit=1223288

This carries on for several lines. Would I be correct in understanding this as the system still trying to read off of the CD even though it has been removed, which leads it to get caught up in an infinite loop?

How do I stop this from happening again? and, is this the best place to look for error messages of this kind?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers

/A