Re: dumb question about upgrading the kernel and SATA disks....

On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 01:28:06AM +0000, Michael Fothergill wrote:
[..]
> I am thinking of buying a new box from an outfit in the UK Golden
> Electronics.  For 170 GBP they will give you a box (no monitor) that has an
> AMD 64 Sempron CPU and a decent hard drive and other gear etc....   Plus
> 512 MB of RAM.
>
> My notion (trash at will) is that if I buy a 64 bit machine it would last
> longer than 32 bit architecture because the 64 bit machine can handle a
> huge amount of RAM.... So in 5 years time then if the latest version of
> Debian uses much more memory than today to run gnome and OO then I can but
> much more RAM in there e.g. 5 GB than a 32 bit machine could handle.

It depends on the motherboard. I think that if you want >4GB RAM you
need to go to a 940 socket motherboard. I am in the process of building
an amd64 system but my 939 socket motherboard won't take more than 4GB.

(ok the CPU determines the socket type, but although the CPU maybe able
to address up to 4TB or whatever the motherboard ultimately decides the
amount of RAM that can be installed on it.)

--
Chris.
======