Re: LAN problem with Etch (Part 2)

On Monday 11 December 2006 01:00, Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Monday 11 December 2006 00:16, Marko Randjelovic wrote:
> > Nigel Henry wrote:
> > > Sorry for my ignorance. I have the zeroconf package installed. what is
> > > the syntax needed to purge it?
> > >
> > > Nigel
> >
> > It should be
> >
> > apt-get --purge remove zeroconf
>
> Thanks to Marko, and Florian. Purging zeroconf has just reverted
> Gkrellmip's display to 192.168.0.8.
>
> I still have a problem with Konqueror, that can no longer access the
> Internet. Something to do with Konqueror not being able to access the
> gateway. Konsole is ok, and so are Opera, and Firefox. I've probably
> screwed up something when messing with KDE's control centres network
> connections/route.
>
> That can wait until tomorrow. Thanks for your help guys.
>
> Nigel.

Right. I've had the Konqueror no Internet access problem on the KDE list, but
with no fixes up to now. I now find that if I use KDE's superuser
filemanager, which requires root password, then change the file mamager to
webbrowsing, I can now access the Internet. So it appears that Konqueror can
now only access the Internet when su'ed to root. Very weird.

I now have no idea what has caused this problem. I hadn't booted up Etch for a
while, and there were loads of updates, more than a 1000 outstanding (711MB),
including a lot of KDE stuff. After the updates, (and I hadn't tried to
access the Internet with Konqueror, so don't know know whether it was working
after the updates or not) and getting the updates through apt-get on KDE's
Konsole, I decided to add the Gkrellmip plugin to Gkrellm. Only after doing
that did I become aware of the 169.254.187.86 address, which was now showing
on Gkrellm. then as suggested I removed zeroconf, but only after seriously
messing with ifconfig, and route before posting to the Debian list.

Desktop permissions for Konqueror, superuser filemanager, and Konsole, are
showing my user name for user, and group.

Any suggestions on a fix.

Nigel.