Re: Greetings and a minor rave!!

andy wrote:
> Thanks for your welcomes and recommendations. I look forward to
> getting to know the new system. As I said I am very impressed,
> although a bit confused too as I learn my way around. I haven't used
> Gnome since RH 7.2 preferring XFce throughout my Slackware days, so I
> am becoming familiar with both Gnome and Debian.

It's great that you're trying out Gnome, but you can run any environment
you want. For example, "aptitude install xfce4" should install XFce for
you, or "aptitude install kde" should install KDE for you, or "aptitude
install icewm wmaker ion" should install those three window managers for
you.

You're probably launching X via gdm; the gdm login window should have a
menu item somewhere for choosing which environment you want to log into.

Mix and match; try 'em all; have fun!

--
Kent West
Westing Peacefully <http://kentwest.blogspot.com>