Re: bulk mailer

* Roberto C. Sanchez <roberto@connexer.com> [061211 08:13]:
> On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 07:50:07AM -0600, Russell L. Harris wrote:
>> I need a method to email a weekly Bible study to a list of a hundred
>> or so recipients.
>> I found in the Debian archive a package named >
>> "libmail-bulkmail-perl".
> Overkill.  Just set up an install of mailman for yourself and add
> your recipients to your mailing list.

OK, mailman it is, then.

Please note that my SOLE interest in Mailman is one-way transmission
-- implementation of an "announce only" newsletter, rather than a
traditional mailing list.  Also, there is no need to allow a user to
subscribe or to cancel his subscription; he can do that by emailing me
directly.

I installed Mailman and I've printed out and read over all the Mailman
documentation I could find -- about two dozen documents totalling about
150 pages.

The GNU Mailman Installation Manual tells me that I need to monkey
around with the Exim4 configuration files.  Is that really necessary?

And in the file "mm_cfg.py", the Debian installer entered the machine
name and local domain name for both "DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST" and
"DEFAULT_URL_HOST".  But these names have no meaning outside my LAN.

It appears that all of the Mailman documentation assumes that the host has a
valid publicly-accessible URL.  If that is a requirement, then I
cannot use Mailman.

So now I'm intimidated.  I'm thinking that perhaps that it would be
better to use Mutt with an alias list.

RLH