Re: Debian install to init 3?

On Fri, Dec 08, 2006 at 11:07:29AM -0500, Ishwar Rattan wrote:

> I just installed Debian form the binary-1 CD and Internet.
>
> The system used Gdm/Genome by default. How do I make not to start
> X-windowes so that I can up dist-upgrade etc. (I think that it is
> level 3)?

it should be run level 2 in debian.

if you are looking to do a big dist-upgrade and want to shut X down to
avoid the system load in the process, then ctrl-alt-f[123456], login
as root, execute "invoke-rc.d gdm stop" to gracefully bring down
X. then proceed with your upgrade and either reboot (if you've changed
kernels) or "invoke-rc.d gdm start" to restart X.