Re: backup archive format saved to disk

hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 05:23:16PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:

On 12/07/06 11:26, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:

Did you ever write any code in the 1970's that can't be run any more?
I did.

Shame on you for not writing in a portable language.  Go COBOL!!!

I actually did my non-surviving code in assembler for the IBM 1620, a decimal machine. I believe I had a Fortran II compiler available -- that was in the days before Fortran had been standardized.

Well, *nominally* a decimal machine. IIRC, part of the bootstrap process
was to load in the math tables. It was actually possible to make
it into a sort-of octal machine by loading octal tables.

In the 70's I wrote most of an Algol 68 compiler in Algol W. The intent was to rewrite it in Algol 68 when it was done. Conversion would probably be done (mostly) mechanically, but funding ran out shortly before the first comnpiler was quite finished.

Yeah, I did a compiler for Modula II several years ago which died on
the vine like that. It's kinda a disappointment for the engineers
when the thing the are working on doesn't actually ever get built.

I looked at it again a few years ago -- some bit rot has occurred in the lexical analyser, but most of it is still readable.

Huh. Interesting. I've got floppies which are more than 10 yrs old
which read perfectly.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.