Re: Smtp auth

On Sat, Dec 02, 2006 at 06:07:37PM -0600, Rodney Richison wrote:
> Am trying to get my postfix to send via relayhost
>
> Here's what I get from hughes.net site
> ***********************
> When configuring your SMTP server information, enable SMTP
> authentication then enter your email account (username@hughes.net) and
> your password. Passwords are case sensitive. View your email client help
> file for more information.
>
>     * Note: SMTP authentication is not the same as SSL. Do not enable
> SAP or SSL in your configuration.
> ***********************
>
> Everything I can find on postfix is for using sasl. This, from hughes
> would indication NOT to use sasl. Do you guys know how I may set postfix
> to use my isp for outgoing?

For the unstable version of postfix put this in /etc/postfix/main.cf

smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtp_sasl_security_options =
smtp_sasl_type = cyrus

Create the file /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd containing:

[relay.host.com] username@hughes.net:yourpassword

and then run 'postmap sasl_passwd'. Restart postfix and you should be
good to go. You might also need to set up address rewriting if your
mail client is not set up correctly.

HTH
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)