Re: backup archive format saved to disk

On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 10:08:50AM -0500, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:

> If the drive electronics fails, for example, or a piece of abrasive
> dirt is on the head during a seekm you lose all three partitions.
>
> Better to have one partition on each of three separate drives.
>
> My strategy?
>
> * RAID1 with two drives
> * reiserfs on the RAID (although I have been told that reiser has bad
> resistance to power failures, I haven't changed yet;  it's wonderfully
> resilient to the software crashes I've been experiencing)
> * backup by copying everything onto a dismountable hard disk and keeping
> it on a shelf
> * critical data kept in textual form and checked into monotone, which is
> to be sync'ed to monotone repositories elsewhere (still setting this
> up).

This is similar to my approach except that I don't use monotone, I keep
absolutley critical data in several formats on different media in
different locations (one copy to my parents for example).

Its the drive-on-the-shelf(-in-the-bank) issue I'm focusing on.  What is
the best way to protect the data on that drive.

Since I use raid1 for my 80 GB drives, I can add that external drive to
the array to get a bootable snapshot, but is there a better way?  Maybe
there's not but I figured that I'd check first.

As someone else noted, the data-security companies keep this stuff as
closely guarded secrets because its their bread-and-butter.  If a
virtual-tape-server is no better than your own home-brew linux raid
setup then why spend the extra money?

Doug.