Re: what's the killer app for GNU/Linux systems?

On Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 05:44:14PM -0700, Nate Duehr wrote:
> Douglas Tutty wrote:
> >On Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 11:02:12AM -0700, Nate Duehr wrote:
 >>
> >>What would you like me to send you?  A two line BASIC program?
> >>
> >>10 PRINT "HELLO"
> >>20 GOTO 10
> >>
> >>Look - there you go.  Free code.  No Copyright, no license.  Freely
> >>distributed.
> >
> >This would be your licence.  Thank you.
> >
> >>I would tell you to do with it what you wish, but that would insinuate
> >>that you need to follow my wishes.  You don't.  It has no license or
> >>copyright.  (Many countries call this "Public Domain".)  You may
> >>incorporate my code into your own works freely without any encumberances
> >>of any kind.  Enjoy.  Or don't.  Your choice.
> >>

> >Clause two of your licence.  Thank you.
>
> I knew some pedantic schmuck would say that.
>
> Pretend that I left those OFF the message, because trying to make the
> point in the message is difficult without saying it explicitly, so just
> use your tiny little imagination and pretend none of that explanation
> was there).
>
> Twit.
>
> Nate

LOL:-)

If those messages weren't there and the code was unique enough that it
represented some intelectual property, then I wouldn't touch it without
you permission.

The difficulty is, having seen the code, how do I accomplish the same
thing without using hints inherent in your code.  Its like trying to
write a literature-research paper; having read a hundred articles, I
have to ensure that everything I say in my paper is either my own idea
or is properly referenced.  It takes great disipline to ensure that a
bright idea at 9:00 in the morning isn't the result of reading something
at 2:00 in the morning that I forgot to cite.

Therefore, I don't even want to read code that I'm not free to take
ideas from.

Doug.