Re: dual layered DVD's vs single layer etc....

Michael Fothergill wrote:
> Dear Debian people,
>
> This is a pretty dumb question.  But I think it has a little merit.  I
> bought myself a new Benq DVD rewriter and stuffed in my box.  This one can
> handle dual layered DVDs as well as the single ones.
>
> I then realised after nosing around in the computer shop that dual layered
> DVDs have a capacity of 8.5GB c.f. the single layered ones of 4.4GB.
>
> What a genius this guy is I here you say.
>
> A doubling of storage is what you would expect.
>
> My point is that whereas the Sarge 3.1 r3 release contains 15 CDs, Etch
> comprises 21 CDs......
>
> Or 3 DVDs.....  But of course these are 3 single layer 4.4 GB DVDs.
>
> Once Etch comes out and everyones starts to work on Lenny, then maybe it
> could get to thirty CDs or 4 or 5 DVDs.
>
> Once it gets to that size would dual layered DVD iso images be considered to
> be parked in the repositories?
>

> Regards
>
> Michael Fothergill

I've given up making distrubution disks anyway. Now I just get a USB
external
disk drive  and install a debian mirror on it. No need to burn a new
media as
the updates are released. (Just the network install disk to get a
usable
OS on the computer)

Stuart