[solved] upgrading trashed my font display

adam.ant@cyberspaceroad.com on 02/12/06 21:27, wrote:
On Wed, 2006-11-29 at 20:35 +0000, matthew yee-king wrote:
Adam Hardy wrote:
I upgraded a whole set of packages in etch using synaptic.

I answered several of the questions posed by the installation
processses of some of the packages but I must have answered one of them
very wrongly.
Now my system-, firefox- and thunderbird text refuses to appear until I
 drag the mouse across it.

I am not sure how I managed to trash the system and I don't see
anything immediate to restore it.

This is the same in KDE, Gnome and Enlightenment. Can someone tell me where to start?

Are you using the nvidia binary drivers? If so, I had this problem recently I think. My solution is here:

http://people.debian.org/~terpstra/message/20061122.213602.6eeb2583.en.html

It worked! I had previously installed the nVidia driver using nVidia's installer. I used the same installer to uninstall (using the --uninstall
argument) the module.  Then I used the instructions [1] linked from the
above page to compile and install it the Debian way. Note that I had to
uninstall the previous module first, or it didn't work.

[1] http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/Debian-nVidia/installation.html

I am following these instructions and nvidia-glx won't install because it
says xserver-common which is uninstallable because it's broken.

I am using xorg not xfree86. Are these installation packages made only for
xfree86?

Of course I uninstalled the previous nvidia driver, so now x won't run and I
can't reinstall the old nvidia driver because it wants a different GCC
version.

I guess I should go and google up some info on nvidia for xorg - but perhaps
a fellow lister knows the answer already.

Managed to reinstall the old nvidia driver from www.nvidia.com, not what I had planned but it solved the problem.

I didn't find any clear solution to the dependency issue of the debian packaged nvidia driver on xserver-common - although there was some discussion of the issue:

http://people.debian.org/~terpstra/message/20061025.083555.9d9b5c7a.en.html

thanks for the help

Adam