Re: BIOS upgrade

On Sat, Dec 02, 2006 at 11:35:07AM -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to upgrade my BIOS.
>
> Generally it seems to involve getting freedos and putting it on a floppy
> with the updates.
>
> Googling isn't clear on recent reports.
>
> Has anyone done this lately and specifically how?

I've only done it once and that was on my new Asus M2N-SLI that has a
bios utility built right in to allow you to save the bios and update a
new one.  No dos required at all, just the bios image on a floppy or USB
stick (or on a MS partition on a hard drive).

However, for my friend Justin Case, I still have dos 6.3.  I used dd to
create floppy images and can make them whenever I need to.
Unfortunatly, since 6.3 isn't public domain, I can't email it to you.

When _does_ the licence on things like an old dos floppy expire or is it
like Shakespear, 100 years after IBM (its IBM dos) dies?

Doug.