Re: alternatives to sane in scanner software.......

From: Andrew Malcolmson <andzy+comp.debuser@imap-mail.com>
To: Michael Fothergill <mikef20000@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: alternatives to sane in scanner software.......
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 13:28:59 -0500

On Sat, Dec 02, 2006 at 12:10:18PM +0000, Michael Fothergill wrote:
> Dear Debian folks,
>
> I have given up on sane with my scanner.

I guess you mean xsane.  If so, a bewildering interface, a badgering
licence message, and a lack of stability, make this a program to avoid.

> I tried Vuescan for Linux and it worked immediately.
>
> But it costs money.....
>
> What alternatives to sane do you recommend that are proper free software?

Quiteinsane (gimp2.0-quiteinsane) is a simpler alternative.

THanks alot. I did apt-get install gimp2.0-quiteinsane and installed it on my machine.

I can't seem to find the executable with whereis   gimp2.0-quiteinsane.

Do I have to configure it with dpkg?

i.e. dpkg configure-gimp2.0-quiteinsane or something like that?

Do I have to remove xsane before gimp2.0-quiteinsane will be made executable?

i.e. apt-get remove xsane

???

Comments welcome....

Regards,