minimal kde system for amarok?

Hi,

I am building a linux stereo for xmas.  Basically I'm making it out of
an old ibm thinkpad and an iPod w/ rockbox.
I want to install a fairly minimal set of packages as I really don't
want the machine to feel sluggish -- it should act like a smart stereo
component, not a slow-bu-versatile computer.

I intend to run amarok on the system -- I haven't seen anything that
comes close in terms of features and stability.  THe thing is, kde
always feels REALLY slow on this machine.  I mean, REALLY slow.  So my
question:  is it possible to install a MINIMAL kde which can handle
amarok but doesn't sap the life out of my poor l'il old cpu?  if so
how would I do htis?  Ir could I e.g. run a very simple wondow manager
that doesn't depend even on gtk?  I am hesitant to run a mixed gtk/qt
system as I have limited resources and responsiveness is a priority.

Alternatively, is there a gtk alternative to amaork that comes close?
I haven't used banshee for a while -- how is t hat shaping up?  Do its
mono dependencies make it similarly 'heavy' to amarok?

Thanks as always,
Matt