Re: Etch status..?

On Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 10:37:34PM EST, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 08:37:52PM -0500, Douglas Tutty wrote:
> > >
> > > [..]
> > >

> > > I did the etch upgrade following the sarge install using apt-get and
> > > then installed half a dozen apps, Xorg, and the 2.6.8 and 2.6.17
> > > kernels using aptitude.
> > >
> > > Sounds like I'll have to start over and stick to one or the other.
> >
> > No, just start using aptitude, stop using apt-get, and go manually
> > through the list of packages from within aptitude, determine if they're
> > ones you want, they depend on packages installed, or they're cruft.
>
> The big difference with aptitude is that it remembers which packages you
> explicitly requested.  And it cleans up packages that are no longer
> needed bases on this knowledge.  So if you installed something without
> aptitude it may decide that it's not needed any more and decide to
> delete it.  Therefore, use apritude interactively and *always* look
> through the packages it proposes to delete.  If you want one of them,
> it's very easy to stop the deletion -- just explicitly requset it!
>
> Otherwise, aptitude uses the same underlying package management tools as
> apt-get.

Guess I'll have to learn that aptitude full-screen interface.

root's bash history tells me that this is what I did after a sarge
netinst where I manually requested that no packages be installed on top
of the base system:

1. apt-get update ; apt-get upgrade
2. edit /etc/apt/sources.list to point to testing
4. apt-get dist-upgrade
5. aptitude install screen less xserver-xorg xfonts-base wmaker conky
   xterm elinks cdrecord vim ..

Is there a risk that at some point aptitude will mess up what I did in
steps 2 and 4 .. ??

Thanks

cga