Re: what's the killer app for GNU/Linux systems?

For me, the "killer app" for Linux is its ability to be a very secure proxy/gateway system.  Take an older system, two different fast ethernet net cards, a linux distribution, and a firewall script for IPtables and you have a proxy gateway system that allows you to run a network off a single DSL or cable modem connection.  After doing this, I became interested in Linux as a desktop.  After learning how to configure should with Alsaconf, I have set up a system to burn CDs with Gnometoaster (usefull when your older hardware has a cd-burner but no roxio to go with it) and rip CDs with GRIP.  Linux also has security tools like ,Nessus, NMAP and other so you can make sure that the rest of your systems are secure.  You even have OpenOffice so you can do some work from you MS dominated job environment in a pinch.

John L Fjellstad <john-debian@fjellstad.org> wrote:
Ron Johnson writes:

> No killer *app*. Security is killer, but that's hard to see.
>
> For me, the CLI is killer.

I'm not sure CLI could be considered a killer for GNU/Linux systems,
since the *BSD systems have no more or less powerful CLI.

I would thinkg a killer app for a system would be unique for that
system. I can't really think of an app that would be unique to GNU/Linux
(that wouldn't also work on other unix systems). Maybe something like
FUSE?

--
John L. Fjellstad
web: http://www.fjellstad.org/ Quis custodiet ipsos custodes