Update to a 2.6 Etch kernel

 I currently am running Debian Sarge (2.4.27 kernel)
 on an old Abit BE6-II motherboard with a Pentium III
 processor. The board appears to be failing now with
frequent freezes, so a new motherboard (ECS RS482-M)
and cpu (AMD Athlon 64) have been acquired.

 However, the new motherboard has an intergrated
graphics chip (ATI Express 200) and an ATI SB400
 south bridge. This hardware requires at least a
2.6.11 kernel to work. It has been proposed to set up
a 32 bit version of the latest 2.6 kernel from Debian
Etch, as a stable release of Etch is due in December,
on the new motherboard. However on reading the release
notes for Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 (`etch') for an 'x86'
architecture(http://www.debian.org/releases/testing/i386/release-notes/ch-information.en.html),
the following advice was found :-

Chapter 5 - Issues to be aware of for etch)

5.2 Upgrading to a 2.6 kernel
The 2.6 kernel series contains major changes from the
2.4 series. Modules have been renamed and a lot of
drivers have been partially or sometimes almost
completely rewritten. Upgrading to a 2.6 kernel from
an earlier version is therefore not a process to be
undertaken lightly. This section aims to make you
aware of some of the issues you may face.

You are therefore strongly advised not to upgrade to a
2.6 kernel as part of the upgrade from sarge to etch.
Instead, you should first make sure your system works
correctly with either the old kernel or with a 2.4
kernel from etch and do the upgrade to a 2.6 kernel
later as a separate project.

 So, it appears that I should first upgrade from the
current Sarge 2.4.27 kernel to a 2.4 Etch kernel, then
from the 2.4 Etch kernel to a 2.6 Etch kernel.

 The problem I face is that a 2.4 kernel does not work
 on the new motherboard. So does that mean I will
first have to set up the 2.4 and 2.6 Etch kernels on
the old Abit motherboard and then transfer the system
 to the new motherboard, or is there a simpler way ?