Re: [OT] M$ collaborates with Suse

On Thu, Nov 23, 2006 at 05:26:06PM -0500, Stephen Yorke wrote:
> Most hosting facilities do allow FrontPage and/or FTP access...FrontPage
> does allow SSL connections but few people set it up which is sad.  FTP
> is clear and is probably the most common way to allow access to M$
> Websites and no there is no SSH default connection which I totally
> disagree with.

I wonder if someone has studied the incidence of website defacements and
tried to corellate that with whether or not clear ftp is used (on MS
platforms and non-MS platforms alike).

> Remote Administration to an actual server can be done with a Terminal
> Server Client (RDP) which is 128-bit encrypted on the login, 40-bit (I
> believe but may be 128-bit as well) for the passing of the info/screen
> shots but definately not clear.

I'm not sure, but I seem to recall that MS's own implementation of
crypto can be weak in some cases.  IIRC, PPTP was a good example of
this.  Their 40-bit PPTP could be cracked in a matter of minutes on a
mediocre machine.

> Secure Administration on the inside can be done with Scripting.  Whether
> you want to use VBScript or JScript but this is only on the inside
> environment and not over the internet.  If stuff like this needs to be
> done I will setup an SSH server on my M$ Boxes and open the firewall to
> allow SSH but assign it to a different port.  There are several half
> decent free SSH Servers out there for Windows and I like freeSSHd.

I'm not a windows guy, so I am not sure about scripting.  Perhaps there
is a way as you suggest, but all of the windows admins I personally know
are only able to get around in the GUI.  The concept of scripting
anything is foreign to them.

Regards,

-Roberto

--