Re: Recent spam increase

Michelle Konzack on 10/11/06 19:11, wrote:
Am 2006-10-26 22:45:56, schrieb Peter Teunissen:
If you're looking for a way to get rid of picture spam, try the SARE rules (http://www.rulesemporium.com/) for spamassassin. I use these rulesets and get very high scores on the picture spam I get. Simply add these rules to your setup using sa-update & the openprotect channel (see http://saupdates.openprotect.com/). It doesn't take the cpu cost of the fuzzyocr plugin.

I thought there was a big database of blacklisted spam URLs of the websites being advertised.

Maybe it's an urban myth, I haven't looked into it, it is something I'm planning on doing in the next few months.

I understand that the blacklist is constantly maintained by a large group of volunteers who use plugins in their email readers to feed-back the spam email to the database website, where the spam ip address will be added to the database as soon as enough trusted spam reporters have reported it.

The database then provides the blacklist for filtering against, so that any email content with blacklisted URLs can be discarded.

Sorry I don't know anymore about it and listening to people discuss the large amount of effort they put into maintaining spam filters, I hope I'm not propagating myths.

Adam