Re: Kernel error: DMA write timed out

On 2006-11-17, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
> [...]

[...]

> > > that message is related to parallel port, not to SATA disk.
> > > At least probably - you could send one line before and after those...
>
> On 14.11.06 18:28, Mertens Bram wrote:
> > Same errors are written to the syslog on my desktop.  I too do not
> > have anything attached to a parallel port.
>
> something tries to work with it.

Not anymore, I haven't seen this message anymore since I stopped and
later removed (purged) the lpr package.

> > Could this be some kind of emulation?  Like the SCSI emulation used
> > for CD drives in the past?
> > I have an HP USB printer which uses usblp0:
> > root@valinor:/root# grep lp /var/log/kern.log
> > Nov 12 11:02:31 localhost kernel: drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 23 if 0 alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x03F0 pid 0x8204
> > Nov 12 11:03:00 localhost kernel: drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: usblp0: removed
>
> That's about devices connected via USB (although using parallel port
> emulation).
>
> > I tried to stop cupsys and/or lpd and the messages stopped when lpd
> > was stopped.  And after starting lpd again they began appearing
> > again.  So lpd appears to be the culprit.  I could print fine when lpd
> > was down (I use Cups) so I'm going to try and remove lpr from my
> > system.  Perhaps you can test this as well?
>
> didn't you mistakenly configure something to try accessing real parallel
> port instead of the one connected with USB?

Well perhaps the lpr package tried to access a printer connected to a
parallell port?  I don't know: I configured my (USB)printer using Cups
and it (still) works.  I can't remember ever configuring lpr, perhaps
it looks for a parallel printer with its default settings?

Anyway: removing lpr solved the problem for me, hopefully it does so
too for the OP.  If so should we consider this a bug in the lpr
package?

Regards

Bram

--
# Mertens Bram "M8ram"   <bram-mertens@linux.be>   Linux User #349737 #
# debian testing            kernel 2.6.17-2-686    i686    1024MB RAM #