Re: Ralink RT2561/RT61: Network is down

On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 14:51:20 +0100
Thierry Chatelet <tchatelet@free.fr> wrote:

> George Borisov wrote:
> > Gabrielle Chatelet wrote:
> >
> >> Hello:
> >> I tried to get my RaLink working using the driver from SourgeForge. When
> >> dtarting I get the following:
> >>
> >> Listening on LPF/ra0/00:13:46:8a:ab:09
> >> Sending on   LPF/ra0/00:13:46:8a:ab:09
> >> Sending on   Socket/fallback/fallback-net
> >> DHCPDISCOVER on ra0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 6
> >> receive_packet failed on ra0: Network is down

I am working with rt73 so it may be different, but still ...
First thing, is this the rt61 legacy driver or the rt2x00 experimental driver?

For me dhcp didn't work with dhclient which mutilated the encryption settings
but it did work with dhclient from the dhcp3-client package. Take note that in
my case it caused the machine to go into a hard lockup after a short time. I
was told that it was because it is not compatible with preemption but I didn't
check it.

Working with a manual IP works for me.

> > What does "ifconfig ra0" show?
> >
> > Have you set the SSID on the card to match the router?
> >
> > Have you configured encryption (if used)?
> >

> Here is thee output of iwconfig ra0:
> ra0       RT61 Wireless  ESSID:"Thierry1"
>          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.472 GHz  Access Point: 00:07:CB:50:76:4B
>          Bit Rate=54 Mb/s
>          RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
>          Encryption key:0100-0000-00   Security mode:restricted
>          Link Quality=83/100  Signal level:-56 dBm  Noise level:-79 dBm
>          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
>          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
>
> What I se is that the encryption key is weard!
> And yes ssid and ncryption key are set.

Can you set the encryption values and ip address manually and try to ping the
server to see if you get an answer?

BTW, in managed mode the rt2x00 driver worked for me (it won't work in ad-hoc
mode though).