Re: Unofficial Firefox packages?

KS wrote:

Marc Shapiro wrote:
.... it at work and really liked it, I moved the firefox directory to
/usr/lib/ and changed usr/bin/firefox to point to
/usr/lib/firefox/firefox.  Now it 'just works.'  I can run the debian
version of firefox by invoking 'mozilla-firefox' and the new version
with 'firefox.'  But you can't run both at the same time.

When I want to try a nightly build of Firefox from mozilla.org, I just
untar it in the /usr/local directory. And as /usr/local/bin is in my
path adding a symbolic link in /usr/local/bin for
/usr/local/firefox/firefox is all that is needed to have it working (for
future versions the symlink is already there). That way I don't mess up
other parts of the system that are being managed by dpkg.

You can run two "instances"(different versions of firefox) at the same
time but only if you have two different profiles. If there is only one
profile, the firefox script checks if an instance is already using the
profile and if it is, it gives you the window running to use.
Thanks, putting the directory in /usr/local/ is probably a better idea, no chance of it overwriting a managed package, or vice-versa.

I don't jave any need to run both versions at the same time, I was just commenting for the OP (or, at least, the earlier poster).

--
Marc Shapiro

No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.
What?! Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here.
Boom. Sooner or later ... boom!

- Susan Ivanova: B5 - Grail