Re: dbus and the bus address

On 11/5/06, Jim McCloskey <mcclosk@ucsc.edu> wrote:
Kelly Clowers" <kelly.clowers@gmail.com> wrote:

|> I have something like this in my ~/.bash_profile
|> (because I start X manually, and I want dbus on before X starts ):
|>
|> if test -z "$DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS" ; then
|>      ## if not found, launch a new one
|>      eval $(dbus-launch --sh-syntax)
|>    export DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS
|>     export DBUS_SESSION_BUS_PID
|> fi
|>
|> Anyway, I hope this helps at least a little.

Actually, I tried putting  the same code in /usr/bin/f-spot (the script that calls the f-spot
executable), which seems like a more sensible place for it, and it worked fine from there also,

Jim

Glad it works for you.

The only thing about putting it in the application script
is that you have to put it in all the ones that need dbus,
or else always start that app first. Also, when KDE 4
comes out, all KDE apps will depend on dbus being
started (it is replacing dcop) and more and more Gnome
apps will depend on it as well (I think it is replacing at least
some bonobo/ORBit/Corba stuff (not too sure about all that)).

But, whatever works for you :-)

Cheers,
Kelly