Re: cannot ping my own machine

On Sat, Nov 04, 2006 at 05:03:30PM -0800, schmity wrote:
> <grep -i -l Sandstorm /etc/*>  lists only the /etc/hosts file.
> <grep -i -l Linuxbox /etc/*> lists /etc/hostname and /etc/motd.
>
> I changed the /etc/hosts file so that the localhost is now Linuxbox,
> ran <hostname -F /etc/hosthame> and now I am able to ping Linuxbox.
>
> Kent, you said there might be more files.  Did I miss them?

You might like to know that Debian has some very well thought out
rules about what goes where on a proper Debian box.  These rules are
set forth and explained in Filesystem Hierarchy Standard,
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/ .  You're not expected to know all these
rules, but if you ever wonder why something is where it is, this is
the place to look for an reasoned explanation.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net