Re: a CAD program for building a house?

On Friday 03 November 2006 02:56 am, Bruno Boettcher wrote:
> Hello!
>
>  i am battling with an architect and a construction engeneer, and both
>  are most of the time unable to give me the informations i want, and
>  both don't give me some sort of digital version of the plans of my
>  house...
--------------------------------------STUFF SNIPPED--------------------------
Don't these people work for you. If they are being paid & will not provide you
with the info you are paying for...fire them both now!! They will ultimately
screw you over. I know they will come up with the argument that what they
produce is their intellectual property & that they are only leasing the
output to you..that is why they (most) will slap copyrights on every document
they produce.  However if you have designed the house or anything else for
that matter in rough sketches, with elements labeled and all they are doing
is converting those to engineering specs, then they are already taking
advantage of you, because they "may" ultimately sell your ideas to someone
else.
If on the other hand you are just consulting them in an exploratory process
they are well within their rights to not provide you with any reproducible
info.
Now as far as CAD for Linux there are a great number of offerings out there
which all have numerous features and all see to be quite different in
operation. A quick 'Google" will turn up the bulk of them. The top dog is
Linux CAD which is a clean drop in replacement for AutoCAD. It is NOT free.
It will do what you desire. If you are seeking the ultimate CAD for LInux
that is free, I suggest BRL-CAD. The learning curve is VERY steep but it will
do everything you ask and MUCH more. I reiterate it will take some time to
learn how to use it.

--
John W. Foster
Steel Home Builders, LLC