Re: [OT] M$ collaborates with Suse

* Clive Menzies <clive@clivemenzies.co.uk> [2006 Nov 03 08:55 -0600]:
> On (03/11/06 07:48), Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Google news reports that M$ is going to collaborate with Novell on Suse
> > Linux.
> > I wonder what that means... ;-)
>
> Interesting.... but when you sup with the devil, you need a very long
> spoon.

Clearly this is an unholy alliance and the sooner the community moves
away from Novell/SuSE products, the better.  MS is not at a point where
they can be trusted, yet--certainly not as long as Bill and Steve are
anywhere close to the controls.

I think this will be seen as a turning point somewhere down the road,
the question is which way it will turn.

The optimist in me likes to think that this is merely a sign of
desperation on the part of both Novell and MS, that the momentum is so
high on our side that MS' tea leaves are showing that Vista will be a
bust.

Then I am completely put off by the arrogance of the whole thing.  MS
is in effect scolding all of us over here for even daring to run, let
alone develop our software.  The fact is that MS has lost the mindshare
and no amount of patent lawsuits will bring that back.  The more they
fight with patents, the more they will become a routing problem and
soon an irrelevant entity.

> Either way I have a healthy sceptcism of Microsoft's motives.

Microsoft's motives are clear, they want to be dominant the player in
IT.  However, they've already lost the data center and they're about to
lose more.  They're in a vise and are responding in the only way they
know how.  Certainly, the patent litigation will be unpleasant, but
they are doomed to fail.

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of